Schedule Your Free Consultation Today
Hannula Halom & Scherz Attorneys

Posts tagged "Family Law"

What can you do if you're a victim of paternity fraud?

As a Wisconsin father who has gotten a divorce or is otherwise no longer together with your spouse, you will likely still be financially involved with the family via child support payments. However, matters change if you discover you're the victim of paternity fraud.

Tax changes create rush to divorce

Racing to complete a divorce is hardly what most people in Wisconsin might think of doing. Instead, much care and often time is required when figuring out how to split a marital estate. This year, however, that may be very different due to a big change in the federal tax code that is set to take effect on January 1, 2019.

What can be considered assets?

The process of divorcing generally involves splitting up the assets of the separating couple, so familiarizing yourself with what assets actually are can prevent any rude surprises in the event you do get a Wisconsin divorce. By knowing what can constitute an asset, you will understand what a divorcing spouse might try to claim. Nerdwallet explains that assets come in multiple categories, and sometimes an asset may fit more than one category at a time.

Make sure you actually do split up when you divorce

Wisconsin spouses create many joint financial and legal arrangements during marriage, so if that marriage should dissolve, it does not mean that all joint financial arrangements are automatically dissolved as well. In fact, it is very possible for ex-spouses to still share joint accounts or have financial agreements that name each other as beneficiaries after a divorce. These arrangements can cause significant problems if they are not dealt with.

Do grandparents have visitation rights in Wisconsin?

As a grandparent, you may wonder if you have certain rights when it comes to seeing your grandchildren and being a part of their lives. While some states do not offer grandparents any rights, Wisconsin does. The Wisconsin Legislative Council explains the court has the right to extend visitation to grandparents if it feels it is what is best for the child. However, the court must also consider the opinions and requests of the parents.

How can paternity be established?

If you need to have the paternity of your child determined in Wisconsin, there are a few options that you have. Paternity is important to know for legal reasons, such as establishing custody or setting up child support. In some cases, it is easy to determine who the father is and you may be able to easily establish paternity. However, other times, it may require court interference. 

Email Us For A Response

How Can We Help?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Hannula Halom & Scherz Attorneys | Google Map

Office Location

Hannula Halom & Scherz Attorneys
515 Belknap Street
Superior, WI 54880

Phone: 715-718-3621
Superior Law Office Map