The aftermath of a car accident in Wisconsin can be scary and confusing. You may be aware of your rights to file claims for medical expenses and/or vehicle damage, but you might not know what, if any, other forms of compensation are available to you.

Depending on the specific details of the case, the damages you are eligible to claim can vary, but the following may apply to your particular situation. 

Pain and suffering

According to FindLaw, mental and emotional distress resulting from a motor vehicle accident may qualify you to seek damages, as well as physical pain. For example, after a car crash, you may have symptoms indicating a mental condition such as anxiety or PTSD. You can also suffer from chronic physical pain as a result of injuries sustained in a motor vehicle accident. A number of factors determine the damages you can claim for pain and suffering:

  • Severity of pain 
  • Type of injury
  • Prospects for recovery

Lost wages

Injuries from a car accident can prevent you from working, sometimes permanently and other times on a short-term basis only. In either case, you may be able to recover wages lost due to your injuries by filing a claim. 

Loss of consortium or companionship

A person whose spouse loses his or her life in a car accident may be able to file a claim for loss of companionship, but it is not only a loss of life that qualifies you for these claims. The victim of a car accident may be in a coma or be unable to engage in sexual activity due to paralysis from neurologic damage. The loss of affection or companionship that results from these types of injuries may qualify the uninjured spouse to file a claim for loss of consortium even though the injured spouse is still alive. 

The information in this article is not intended as legal advice but provided for educational purposes only.