If you have been injured while at work in Wisconsin, you may feel the impact on your wallet. Being off work while recovering from an injury can be difficult in many ways, but trying to support your family and keep from falling behind financially can create even bigger worries and add more stress to an already difficult situation. Luckily, if you file a workers’ compensation claim, you may be able to get payment for lost wages.

According to the Department of Workforce Development, workers’ compensation payments can include pay for any wages you lost due to your accident. There are, of course, restrictions and rules to this. If you miss three days or less, you cannot get any lost wage payments. However, if you are out more than four days, you can get payment, but if you are out for only four to six days, you will not get paid for the first three days you miss. If your injury is more severe and you miss seven or more days, then you get paid for all the days you miss.

There are a few different types of pay for lost wages. Temporary partial disability is paid if you return to work but cannot do your previous job or must work fewer hours. Temporary total disability is paid if you cannot return to work at all until you are healed. If you cannot return to work ever because of suffering a catastrophic injury, then you can get permanent total disability payments, which are paid for life. Another option is permanent partial disability where you have lasting limitations due to your injury.

The amount you are paid is based on the type of disability you get. You may get paid a percentage of what you normally earn. Typically, though, for most claims, you are paid two-thirds of your normal pay. This information is for education and is not legal advice.