What Do You Need To Do After A Car Accident?

Immediately after a traffic collision, there are several steps you should take. Ideally, you should get the other driver's insurance and contact information, take photos of damage and the scene, and call the police. Here are the answers to some common questions about what to do next.

Do I have to notify my insurance company if I was in an accident?
Absolutely, notifying your insurance company is one of the first things you should do. Some insurance companies have a time limit to do this so you should do it right away to preserve your coverage.

Do I have to report my accident?

It is important to have an official report of your accident. If the police are called, and they respond to your accident, they will take care of filing an official report. However, if the police do not respond and your accident occurred in Wisconsin, you will have to file an accident report form with the Wisconsin Department of Transportation.

What should I do if someone contacts me asking about the accident?
You should not discuss the accident with any insurance company other than your own. Generally, the other party's insurance company will contact you directly trying to get information about the accident. They can then use that information against you. It's best if you don't talk to anyone till after you have spoken to an attorney about how to protect your rights.

Who is going to pay my medical bills if I was in a car accident?
That depends on a wide variety of factors. If your insurance policy has medical pay coverage then they will generally pay up to the limits of their coverage. After that, who is responsible for additional bills will depend on a liability determination.

How do I know if I need a car accident attorney?
If you or a loved one were seriously injured in an automobile accident chances are you need an attorney. If you're not sure if you need a lawyer, we offer free consultations, so the best thing you can do is give us a call and we can figure it out together.

Call Us For Answers

Hannula Halom & Scherz offers free consultations to anyone who has been in a car accident. We encourage you to give us a call at 715-718-3621, send us an email or visit us at our downtown Superior office.